Join our next generation of technologists
Through our Software Engineer Internship, you could help develop innovative solutions that impact the day-to-day lives of customers, clients, and businesses around the world.
Spend your internship with one of the world’s biggest technology-driven companies. With the scale of our business, you could impact millions of consumers, thousands of enterprise clients, and 250,000+ employees. We’re committed to advancing your career by helping you acquire new skills, opportunities, and a global network of support that will help you take your career in any direction imaginable.
Who We’re looking for
We’re looking for enthusiastic, capable and motivated computer science and/or engineering majors who want to directly contribute to our business from day one. No matter your background, we’re looking for those with a strong interest in financial services and excellent coding skills. Our teams work collaboratively, so we’re looking for those who have excellent teamwork and demonstrated leadership abilities.
You should have excellent coding skills, be able to manage relationships with clients, and have exceptional problem solving and analytical thinking skills. We’re looking for those who are intellectually curious, collaborative and open to new challenges, as well as being able to take ownership of projects to bring them to fruition.
What You’ll do
Your responsibilities will vary based on your location and team assignment. You could be developing digital and mobile features that give our customers and clients more control over how they bank with us. You could be strategizing on how big data can make our trading systems quicker. You could help create the next innovation in payments for merchants. You could be engineering automated recovery solutions on a global scale.
You could be supporting the integration of our private and public cloud platforms. No matter your role, you’ll have the opportunity to learn new coding languages, introduce new products for our clients and work with innovative new technology such as machine learning.
The Software Engineer Program will allow you to explore agile software development methodologies, pair programming, resiliency patterns and chaos engineering, and more.
You’ll develop the skills and acumen to take your career in any direction and make a genuine contribution to our businesses from the start.
What We Offer
This 10-week internship will give you the opportunity to learn about our technology business, build your coding skills and prepare you for your career. You could work on projects that deliver real solutions for our customers, clients and businesses. No matter if you’re working on payment solutions or trading algorithms, you’ll see tangible results from your work.
From the start, you’ll have the support you need to succeed. Dive head-first and gain hands-on experience creating innovative solutions that make a difference for our customers, clients and employees. You’ll be given a peer mentor who completed the Software Engineer Internship to help you navigate the firm and the program.
A senior engineer will also check in with you to offer advice, help make connections and oversee your development. Our managers receive extensive training on how to help interns to make the most of their program. You’ll have clear priorities and opportunities for check ins throughout the internship to make sure you’re achieving your goals.
Interns are encouraged to take time to explore, shadowing other teams and networking with various people. We offer social events and other activities in our business resource groups to help you expand your professional network across our lines of business. You’ll also work in teams with other interns to solve a business challenge or on a project assigned specifically to your group.
You’ll begin with an induction covering our tech strategies, products and systems, as well as an overview of our technology community. You’ll work on agile teams with peers and experienced software engineers to grow your skills, share ideas and innovate with our technology community all over the world, as well as gain deeper insight into what it means to work here through networking events, senior speaker sessions and peer-mentorship programs.
We also host a global hack-a-thon where you’ll work alongside our engineers to solve real business challenges in a fun, collaborative environment. Because we’re always looking for new ways to innovate, your ideas and contributions are welcome from the beginning.
Throughout the course of the summer, you’ll hear from senior leaders during our speaker series and have other opportunities for training on technical and professional skills.
Those who successfully complete the program may be offered a position in our full-time
1. Full Stack Developer
Gain knowledge and expertise across the entire software stack, from the user interface layer all the way to the database layer. As a full stack developer, you will:
- Design and develop resilient and scalable software solutions for Hybrid environments (Private cloud, Public cloud, On-Premises, Mobile, Desktop)
- Incorporate non-functional requirements including Telemetry, Monitoring, Alerting, Log Aggregate into Software solution
- Work with technology stacks including: Node.Js, Python, Java, .Net, React, Angular, MySQL, NoSQL, Relational Databases (Oracle, SQLServer)
Some sample projects you might work on as a full stack developer:
- Deliver an automation platform to extract metadata from documents leveraging Natural Language Processing and Machine Learning capabilities for the Wholesale Payments business
- Integrate java-based features with modern APIs and cloud native environments to support JPMorgan Chase’s 5k+ retail branches and 17k+ ATMs across the U.S.
2. Back-end Developer
Dive into server-side application logic and integration of the front-end developer’s output. Back-end developers usually write the web services and APIs used by front-end and mobile application developers. As a back-end developer, you will:
- Get exposure to database management technologies forming part of the app being developed
- Build Microservices using design patterns, consume or create REST and SOAP Services
- Implement standard authentication techniques like ADFS to protect the back-end services
- Work with technology stacks including: Node.Js, Python, Java, MySQL, Cockroach DB, Oracle DB, Cassandra, Microsoft SQL, Django, Spring Boot
Some sample projects you might work on as a back-end developer:
- Build a best-in-class Electronic Trading platform for the Rates and Emerging Markets business lines in the Investment Bank
- Develop new Digital platforms and APIs to enhance the end-to-end client experiences for Chase business card customers
3. Front-end Developer
- Develop and deploy services on public and private cloud infrastructure using standard CI/CD pipeline
- Work on all required elements of design/UI/UX
- Implement authentication techniques like ADFS to protect the back-end services (Oauth2, ADFC Authentication)
- Work with technology stacks including: Angular, ReactJS, Jquery, Responsive Design, Intellij, Visual Studio Code, Postman, Android Studio, Docker
Some sample projects you might work on as a front-end developer:
- Design innovative customer-facing user experience at an enterprise level for the bank’s commercial clients using React and Angular
- Build responsive web and Android applications for the retail branch bankers to accelerate digital adoption by delivering a seamless customer experience.
4. Cybersecurity Developer
- Build solutions for software, endpoint, network, data, or web security
- Develop tooling for security analysts such as log analytics, security detections, and forensic analysis
- Continuously evaluate and use new technologies to improve security capabilities and implement enhancements
- Work with technology stacks including: Java, Python, C#/.NET, CSS3, HTML5, React, Angular, Databases (relational/non-relational)
Some sample projects you might work on as a cybersecurity developer:
- Develop complex platforms that are deployed in public and private cloud environments to meet the ever-increasing needs of the bank’s cyber defense capabilities
- Implement an attack simulation tool and integrating it into JPMorgan Chase’s vulnerability management ecosystem
5. Infrastructure Developer
- Design, Develop, & Operate solutions for Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS)/Infrastructure as Code (IAC) platform
- Develop CI/CD systems, private cloud infrastructure and secure integration with public cloud infrastructure
- Build solutions that support app security and auditability
- Work with technology stacks including: Java, Python, MySQL, Cockroach Database, Microsoft SQL, Kafka, Ansible, Salt, Chef, Puppet, Cloud Formation, Terraform
Some sample projects you might work on as a infrastructure developer:
- Engineer solutions to enhance infrastructure services such as Virtual Machines and Storage that run applications to support JPMorgan Chase’s diverse and critical businesses
- Develop applications to build modern private cloud storage platforms for all consumers of storage infrastructure at the firm
- Polygon Bootcamp Africa for Web3 Developers
- Call for Applications: Global Innovation Challenge 2022 ($10,000 Cash Prize)
- Data Analyst Internship at Paypal
- Call for Applications: 2023 Savvy Prize for Impact-Driven Entrepreneurs (Win $3,000 Cash Prizes and Support)
- Remote Web Development Internship at Vicdigit Tech
- USADF Accelerate Program to Reward African-Owned Businesses with $250k
- MTN-SAS Data Science Training Program 2022
- Nokia Foundation Scholarships 2023/2024 for International Students to Study in Finland
- Call for Applications: BFA Global Catalyst Fund 2022