Application Deadline: November 16th, 2022
Meta announced that applications for the AR/VR Africa Metathon in partnership with Imisi 3D and BlackRhino VR are now open. The AR/VR Africa Metathon is a series of programmes and activations under the Meta global XR fund aimed at supporting African XR talents to build innovative solutions that demonstrate various use cases of the metaverse in Africa.
The AR/VR Metathon will feature three major components including a training program, an Africa-wide hackathon which will take place across 16 countries in Africa physically and open to everyone virtually, followed by an intensive bootcamp to further develop solutions. These components will run from Mid-August – April 2023.
The XR Programs and Research Fund is a two-year $50 million investment into programs and external research focused on building the metaverse responsibly. Through this fund, we are collaborating with industry partners, civil rights groups, governments, nonprofits and academic institutions to determine how to build these technologies responsibly.
The 2022 AR/VR Africa Metathon is a planned program of events which comprises three major events
AR/VR Africa Pre-hackathon Training
Participants will be part of a continent-wide community of learners. The online learning community will have access to learning materials, mentors, masterclasses and workshops. In addition, there will be instructor-led training sessions to increase your knowledge of extended reality technologies and teach you how to build real-world solutions using this technology.
AR/VR Africa Hackathon
The 2022 AR/VR Africa Hackathon is a hybrid event where you will use your XR skills to create solutions to everyday problems in Africa. You can participate in the Hackathon – -online – in the one-week Virtual Hackathon, or offline – in one of the 16 In-person 48-hour Hackathons across Africa (Nigeria, South Africa, Mozambique, Egypt, Kenya, Cameroon, Tunisia, Ghana, Rwanda, Senegal, Cote d’Ivoire, Namibia, Tanzania, Democratic Republic of Congo, Uganda and Ethiopia). The online & offline hackathons will take place in November and December 2022 respectively.
AR/VR Africa Bootcamp
The bootcamp is an intensive 3-month virtual program which will support the 1st place winners of the AR/VR Africa Hackathon to advance their solutions and create MVPs. It culminates in a Demo day where the teams will present to investors.
- Registrations open: August 22nd, 2022
- Training: September 5th to November 20th 2022: Instructor-led training, online learning, mentorship sessions, workshops, masterclasses etc.
- Registration closes: November 16th, 2022
- Online Hackathon: November 21st to 25th 2022
- In-person Hackathon: December 2nd – 4th, 2022.
- AR/VR Africa Bootcamp 2023: January 16th – April 5th, 2023.
- All developers, programmers, UI/UX designers, artists, animators, storytellers, professionals and students interested in participating in the 12 weeks training can register through this link: https://form.typeform.com/to/qHCfq759 for the opportunity to share their innovative work in AR/VR.
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the Meta’s AR/VR Africa Metathon 2022
- Call for Application: CocaCola Beverages Africa Management Trainee-Women Professionals 2022
- XR Social Impact Grant 2022 for African Creators (up to $5,000)
- Call for Application: Netflix Scholarship Applications for West and Central Africa
- Mo Ibrahim Foundation Leadership Fellowships 2023 (Stipend of $100,000)
- Application Fee Waiver Codes for Universities in USA for Fall Intake 2022
- Apply for the Ocean Exchange Awards 2022 (up to $100,000)
WANT MORE? JOIN OUR CHANNEL