Applications are now open for the XR Social Impact Grant 2022 for African Creators. Here’s how to apply:
Deadline: August 31, 2022
Are you an immersive media artist or creative technologist based in Africa? Do you have a concept or project that utilises real-time 3D (RT3D) or Extended Reality (XR) technology in a creative and impactful way? Electric South invites emerging as well as accomplished African XR creators to apply for a new XR Social Impact Grant.
The aim of the grant is to give African creators access to skills, expertise, tools and networks to create a prototype or proof of concept using RT3D/XR technology, or to help finish an already existing project.
Benefits of the XR Social Impact Grant 2022 for African Creators
- Seven extended reality projects (augmented or virtual reality) will be selected to receive $5,000 USD each in grant funds to develop their proof of concepts, or to complete projects already in progress. Artists will retain full ownership of all work that is produced.
- In addition, creators will participate in a few group sessions with experts, and will receive one-on-one technical support from specialists and advisors. All sessions will take place online in October and November, 2022.
Eligibility for XR Social Impact Grant 2022 for African Creators
- Be citizens of an African country and based in Africa for the majority of the time (at least 6 months/year). They welcome participants from across the African continent, and encourage applicants from identities that have been historically under supported or underrepresented within the fields of art and technology to apply, including those who are disabled, women, members of the LGBTQIA+ community and others.
- Either well versed in a game engine (Unity or Unreal etc.) or technically proficient in similar real-time content creation, 3D modelling or animation software (for example Blender, Maya or Autodesk 3DS Max).
- Utilise RT3D/XR technology in a meaningful and impactful way.
- Be narrative or non-fiction, but all projects must be impact driven with measurable impact goals, calls to action and/or encompass themes of freedom of expression, social, healthcare, education, humanitarian, or environmental issues.
How to apply for XR Social Impact Grant 2022 for African Creators
The last day to submit your application is Wednesday, August 31, 2022 by 23h59 SAST. All successful applicants will be notified by Friday, September 16, 2022. The online programme will run from October 1 — November 25, 2022. Final prototypes or projects will be due by November 25, 2022.
Click here to apply
- Call for Application: Netflix Scholarship Applications for West and Central Africa
- Future Digital Challenge 2022 (€1,000,000 prize)
- Eni Award 2023 for Research & Technological Innovation
- Mo Ibrahim Foundation Leadership Fellowships 2023 (Stipend of $100,000)
- Apply for the Ocean Exchange Awards 2022 (up to $100,000)
- Mastercard Foundation 2022 Transforming Nigerian Youth Program for Young Nigerians
- The African Development Bank (AfDB) 2022 Virtual Internship Program for Young Africans (Monthly Stipend Available)
- Southern Africa Public Leadership Programme 2022 for Young Leaders
- Granada Writers in Residence Programme 2022 (Fully-funded)
WANT MORE? JOIN OUR CHANNEL