The National Essay Competition (NEC) is part of the UBA Foundation’s education initiative which is aimed at promoting literacy and encouraging healthy and intellectual competition amongst senior secondary school students in Nigeria and across the African continent.
The National essay competition, targeted at senior secondary school students in Nigeria is organized annually, as part of the UBA Foundation’s education initiative which is aimed at promoting the reading culture and encouraging healthy and intellectual competition amongst secondary school students in Nigeria and across Africa.
However, the competition is a key aspect of our investment drive in human capital, as we seek to improve the knowledge base, allow students to express themselves and write creatively.
Hence, they continue to sustain the initiative because education is very important
It is important to note that apart from Nigeria, the national essay competition has been taken to other African countries including Ghana and Senegal. More countries including Mozambique and Kenya will kick off the initiative this year.
A unique component of this year’s edition is that schools that turn in the highest number of entries will be recognized and rewarded a special prize by the Foundation.
Furthermore, National Essay Competition provides the opportunity for students in secondary schools across the country to put in their entries and to win prizes in the form of educational grants to study in any university of their choice on the African continent.
Selection Criteria and Eligibility
- Be a Secondary School Student
- Must submit a handwritten essay
- Must submit a passport photograph
- Must submit a copy of a birth certificate, National ID or passport
- Entries received for the competition will be reviewed by a distinguished panel of judges made up of professors from reputable Nigerian Universities, who will then shortlist 12 essays for further assessment
- Following this, the second round of competition will involve the 12 finalists who will write a second supervised essay from which three best essays will be selected as the overall winners from the 12 finalists emerged from the first round of the competition
ASUU Strike has often cost Nigerian students time. Advise the Nigerian governments on how they can reach an agreement with ASUU to improve tertiary education in the nation.
- Winner: N5 million
- 1st runner-up: N3 million
- 2nd runner-up: 2.5 million.
Method of Application
- Applicant must submit their completed contact information (Name, Age, School, Address of school, Telephone Number, Residential Address and Email Address)
- Applicants must attach photocopies of their original birth certificates or international passport data page.
- Then submit the essay in the link below
Deadline: October 14th, 2022
- Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) Nationwide Adhoc Staff Recruitment for 2023 General Election
- D-Prize Challenge 2022 for Aspiring Entrepreneurs (Win up to $20,000)
- WAAW Foundation 2022 STEM Scholarship for Need-Based African Female Students
- Commonwealth Masters Scholarships 2023 for full-time Master’s Study at a UK University (Fully Funded)
- Commonwealth Ph.D. Scholarships 2023/2024 (for least developed countries and fragile states) to Study in the UK (Fully Funded)
- The Sterling Management Development Program (SMDP) 2022 for young Nigerian graduates.