Software engineering, internship
Commitment & Contract
Six-month or internship contract, full-time or part-time. Then, if both parties are delighted about how things are going, we can seamlessly transition into a permanent contract.
Milan, Italy or remote. We offer substantial support for relocation, including finding an apartment in Milan and paying the rent for 12 weeks. You’re also welcome to work remotely, or part on-site, part-remote.
With tens of millions of active users and hundreds of thousands of daily downloads, we’re among Europe’s leading app developers. Our sights are set on becoming the world #1. At the very core of this thrillingly ambitious mission is our team of bright, innovative, and collaborative software engineers.
Join our quest and learn how to create beautiful, robust code to automate processes, amaze users, or manage mountains of data. We can’t wait to teach you all our secrets!
Your responsibilities will vary according to the team you’re assigned to, but you can expect to do the following:
- Constantly improve the quality of our products, tools, or infrastructures by fixing bugs and refactoring the code base where necessary.
- Participate in product development, discovering how complex product roadmaps come into being.
- Work closely with our software engineers to expand our set of libraries and make our processes ever-more efficient.
- Learn about the latest and greatest technologies, testing the promising ones to make sure we don’t miss out on game-changing opportunities to boost our productivity and the enjoyment of our work.
What We Offer
- Talented, knowledgeable colleagues. You’ll get the chance to learn from some of the brightest and most skilled people you’ll ever meet. Your talent is going to blossom here.
- Cool tech stack. We strive to use the best, most modern tools and technologies, and when they fall short of our expectations we invent our own. It’s a geek’s paradise.
- Own products. We don’t work for clients—we develop only our own apps. Freed from client-provider politics, we can move fast and be daring.
- Inspiring environment. We have minimal hierarchy and a relaxed workplace. Spooners are a whole lot of fun to be around!
- Continuous education. As relentless seekers of knowledge, we pay for your Italian/English language lessons and offer an unlimited book budget—but that’s not where it ends. If you make a good case for some extra learning, we’re delighted to foot the tab.
- Remote working. Spend as much or as little time in our Milan office as you choose (even no time at all, if you’d prefer). Many Spooners like to change up their environment and get out of the city whenever the mood strikes. Every day, you’ve got the freedom to decide where today’s office is.
- Flexible schedule. Our regular hours are 9-6 GMT+1, but this isn’t a “clock in, clock out” company. Morning person? Start work while the world’s still sleeping. Night owl? Ramp things up while others are winding down. You’re fully trusted to create the right conditions for your own personal peak productivity. We only ask that you’re available to your teammates a good chunk of the day. That’s why it’s generally best to be based somewhere with a similar time zone—between GMT-2 and GMT+3.
- Top-notch HQ. Natural light, silent rooms, state-of-the-art hardware, fun-filled common spaces… the list never ends! You’ll certainly be in the right environment to do your best work. And, when it’s time to switch off, you can do so in style and comfort.
- Relocation package. To ease your move to Milan (if you decide to relocate), the first three months of rent are on us. Visa support is provided for those who need it.
What We Look For
- Passion for the topic. You have a long-standing passion for writing software, and an academic track record that proves it.
- Reasoning and depth of learning. You’re structured and creative enough to solve most challenging problems independently, given the necessary knowledge. You learn new concepts and skills rapidly, and love to nerd out and go in-depth.
- Drive. You’re energetic, hard-working, and persevere through adversity until the job is done—and done impeccably. You’re massively into getting results and always aim for excellence in what you do.
- Curiosity and initiative. You love exploring and you’re entrepreneurial in hunting down new opportunities and testing ideas. You seek—you don’t just wait to be told what to do.
- Attention to detail. You take all the care in the world to get the small things right, not just the big ones. You’re meticulous in checking that your code works exactly as expected.
- Humility. You’re down to earth, eager to listen to feedback and constructive criticism, and ready to get your hands dirty with whatever the team needs to succeed.
- Proficiency in English. You read and write proficiently, and speak at a conversational level in English.
The Recruiting Process
If you successfully pass through our screening process, we’ll invite you to take on a few tests aimed at assessing how you think and solve possibly unfamiliar problems. These tests don’t require any prior knowledge, and they should take you a few hours to complete. If you’re successful there, we’ll invite you to some interviews—normally two or three—to get to know each other and figure out if it’s a good fit for both parties. There, we’ll ask you some behavioral and problem-solving questions. The interviews are held remotely. To limit arbitrariness and human bias, Bending Spoons’ hiring decisions are made by a hiring committee.