French Agency for Development (AFD) Digital Challenge 2022 for African Start-ups (€150K prize)
Application Deadline: 30th April 2022 – 23:59 CET
The Digital Energy Challenge for Start-ups rewards every year 5 to 8 start-ups working on innovative digital projects that aim to increase energy access and improve power grid performance in Africa.
The Call for Projects is open to start-ups and utilities.
The start-up must meet the following criteria:
- Created less than 10 years ago
- Be in the pre-seed/early-stage financing phase i.e. less than €1M funding raised
- Annual turnover of less than €1M
- Employ between 1 and 99 people full-time.
NGOs can apply under the Start-up category if the project meets one of the additional following criteria:
- The project is set up as a company as a branch of the NGO
- The project has a dedicated team and business plan, and clearly targets business sustainability/profitability (e.g. plans to spin off as an independent entity).
Finally, the start-up’s project must meet one of the three above-mentioned themes and be:
- Digital i.e. based on a telecom, computer or cloud-based technology
- Innovative, either intrinsically or compared to the local market
- Local i.e. headquartered or with project management activities in the country of the project
For every annual Call for Projects, the 5 to 8 winning start-ups will each benefit from:
- Financial support of up to €150K including: Grant funding to contribute to costs for equipment, software, training and recruitment ; Technical assistance (awarded on a case-by-case basis), which could include project management support, strategic and technical expertise, and accounting/reporting assistance
- A joint boot camp run by cross-sectorial experts, to support project implementation, provide sectorial insights, foster synergies between project winners and encourage best-practice sharing
- Widespread communication campaigns piloted by AFD during the selection phase, award ceremony, bootcamp and for a period of time after these events.
How to Apply:
1. Download the Start-up Application Pack (email address required)DOWNLOAD THE APPLICATION PACK
3. Complete the application form and prepare the required documents
4. Submit your project before 30th April 2022 – 23:59 CET
For More Information: