Application into the YALI RLC West Africa Emerging Leaders Programme 2023 is now open
For the YALI RLC West Africa Emerging Leaders Programme 2023 – Online Cohort 42, applications are being accepted.
The YALI RLC West Africa is seeking young people who are prepared to accept leadership and put up significant effort to develop their nations.
The United States government launched the Young African Leaders Initiative (YALI) as a centerpiece initiative to support the continent’s future leaders.
Over the course of 17 weeks, the Emerging Leaders Programme will instruct emerging African leaders on contemporary leadership. The curriculum will be divided into four phases: an online or in-person 5-week classroom phase; the remaining 12-weeks; a mentorship program; an internship or community service; and a report-writing phase
ALI RLC West Africa Emerging Leaders Programme Tracks
- Business and Entrepreneurship: This track caters to the range of emerging or aspiring entrepreneurs who expect to take on leadership roles within the private sector or build their own business ventures on the continent.
- Civil Society Management: This track is oriented to those who are or aspire to be civically engaged and serve the public through non-governmental organizations, community based organizations, or volunteerism.
- Public Policy and Management: This track is tailored to those who work or aspire to work in any level of government (including elected positions), regional organizations such as the African Union or the West Africa Community, international organizations such as the United Nations, or other publicly minded organizations or think tanks.
Benefits of YALI RLC West Africa Emerging Leaders Programme
- At the end of the programme participants will be awarded with certificates and become members of the prestigious YALI Alumni.
- Participants will be taken through various forms of leadership training to prepare them for leadership roles in their various organizations, communities and countries.
YALI RLC West Africa Emerging Leaders Programme Eligibility
Competition for the YALI Regional Leadership Center West Africa is merit-based and open to young West African leaders who meet the following criteria:
- Are 18 to 35 years of age at the time of application submission.
- Are citizens and residents of one of the following countries: Ghana, Nigeria, Togo, Ivory Coast, Cameroon, Liberia, Sierra Leone, The Gambia and Burkina Faso.
- Are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the U.S.
- Are eligible to receive any necessary visa to Ghana, and
- Are proficient in reading, writing, listening and speaking English.
YALI RLC West Africa Emerging Leaders Programme Selection Criteria
A merit-based, open competition will be used to choose candidates for the YALI Regional Leadership Center West Africa. A selection panel will examine each eligible application. Before a final decision is made and an invitation to join the program is sent, chosen semi-finalists will be interviewed.
Selection panels will use the following criteria to evaluate applications:
- Demonstrated leadership in public service, business and entrepreneurship, or civic engagement.
- Active engagement in public or community service, volunteerism, or mentorship.
- The ability to work cooperatively in diverse groups and respect the opinions of others.
- Strong social and communication skills.
- An energetic, positive attitude.
- A demonstrated knowledge, interest, and professional experience in the sector/track selected, and
- A commitment to apply leadership skills and training to benefit your country and/or community after the program.
YALI RLC West Africa Emerging Leaders Programme Application
You must submit your application through the online application system. Paper applications, or applications by email attachment, will not be accepted. Application closes on December 11, 2022. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.