World Health Organization (WHO) is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system.
It is responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Programme Assistant
Job ID: 2306357
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Contractual Arrangement: Temporary appointment under Staff Rule 420.4
Contract Duration (Years, Months, Days): 1 Year
Organization: World Health Organization and Other Entities
Purpose of the Position
- To Provide administrative support to the ULC-Life Course Cluster of the Nigeria WHO Country Office (WCO) Team programs under the general supervision of the Coordinator Strategic Health Policy/UHC-LF cluster lead and overall guidance of the DWR.
Objectives of the Programme and the immediate Strategic Objectives:
- The country team is responsible for promoting technical cooperation, stimulating interest and coordinating assistance for health development based on global and regional strategies and WHO guidelines.
- It is also responsible for contributing to the collection, analysis and dissemination of health information.
Describe the individual role of the incumbent within the team, the guidance and supervision received and training or briefing provided to others:
- The incumbent performs functions related to Program support in the GSM environment. The incumbent works on the basis of general instructions, from his own experience, according to the policies, procedures, rules and regulations of the Organization, ensures the proper functioning in the team or department.
- The incumbent is invited to seek advice on unusual matters. Most of the work is checked for accuracy and relevance by the incumbent and by the UHC-LC Lead and DWR on an ad hoc basis for the achievement of results and quality in general; correspondence is referred to the UHC-LC Cluster Team Lead as needful, before submission to the Deputy Representative.
Summary of Assigned Duties
Describe what the incumbent has to do to achieve main objectives:
- Initiate correspondence projects on the orientation of Program Managers; finalize them in accordance with WHO and departmental styles and check language, grammar and curacy before submission for approval and signature.
- Organize the administrative preparation of internal and external meetings, including the preparation of business plans in GSM / Oracle, letters of invitation, cost estimates and travel requests; assist in the preparation of documents; sending materials and liaising with participants and others involved;
- Analyze correspondence and requests received, highlight incoming documents and attach background information and identify areas requiring action by Program Managers, drawing attention to important issues.
- Schedule meetings of Program Administrators, according to schedules and needs; take minutes of meetings and follow up on issues requiring action to ensure prompt response to WHO requests;
- Obtain information documents for meetings, seminars, workshops, etc. which Program Administrators take part in, verify their availability and ensure that they have the appropriate information files and documents;
- Ensure that technical reports and documents conform to WHO standards, rules, practices, procedures and editing style and correct them as necessary prior to submission to the Representative’s signature.
- Use appropriate monitoring tools, monitor and ensure deadlines and deadlines are met, and correspondence and requests are analyzed and processed as soon as possible;
- Use GSM to prepare requests for official travel by Program Administrators. Make airline and hotel reservations, prepare travel records and handle other related matters upon request;
- Perform other related duties as required or directed, including support to the Administration and the Representative’s Office
- Essential: Completion of Secondary School followed by Administrative training.
- Essential: 6 years of experience in a recognized public or private institution
- Desirable: Experience in administrative support positions within WHO or another UN agency is an asset. Experience in Oracle-based systems or another ERP-like system is an asset.
Competencies – Generic:
Describe the core, management and leadership competencies required – See WHO competency model – list in order of priority, commencing with the most important ones:
- Communicating Credibly and Effectively
- Foster integration and teamwork;
- Produce results;
- Move forward in a changing environment;
- Manage resources effectively.
Functional Knowledge and Skills:
Describe the essential knowledge and the skills specific to the position:
- The incumbent will demonstrate mastery; actualize his knowledge in the use of modern office technology through internal courses, on the job or self-training.
- He / she keeps abreast of changes in procedures and practices, rules and regulations, organizational structure, in Country Office, organic group and WHO, to be able to brief and explain procedures to other members Staff.
- Essential – Fluency in English.
- Desirable – Working knowledge of French would be an advantage.
Application Closing Date
29th July, 2023; 10:59:00 PM
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online