The MIT-Empowering the Teachers (MIT-ETT) program provides an intense, semester long teaching-focused engagement for selected cohorts of faculty members (ETT Fellows) from African universities.
By introducing the ETT Fellows to cutting edge student-focused teaching methodologies the ETT strives to foster innovation in science and engineering education in tertiary academic institutions in Africa.
Our vision for the students of our Fellows is to graduate ready for the demands of today’s job market, equipped with hands-on problem solving and critical thinking capabilities. NNPC Ltd. & TotalEnergies EP Nigeria are the corporate partners and sponsors of the program.
Applications are invited for:
NNPC Limited / TotalEnergies MIT-Empowering the Teachers (MIT-ETT) Program (For Spring and Fall 2024)
- MIT-Empowering the Teachers (MIT-ETT) is a teaching-focused fellowship, offered by MISTI (MIT International Science and Technology Initiative) at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) together with the NNPC Limited and TotalEnergies Upstream Nigeria Limited (TUPNI).
- MIT-ETT enables Nigerian faculty in science and engineering to experience a semester at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). Selected fellows will observe instruction in their disciplines and work as a group under the guidance of a MIT faculty member, to prepare innovative curricula and approaches to teaching that can be introduced into their home universities on their return.
- NNPC Limited/TUPNI’s objective for this program is to contribute to the socio-economic development of Nigeria by enabling the provision of quality education through partnership with reputable local and international academic institutions. The ETT Fellowship is a laboratory for innovation in engineering education, leading to impactful transformations in the Nigerian tertiary academic sphere.
- MIT-ETT will select a number of outstanding young faculty from the disciplines of Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Petroleum Engineering and Geophysics from Nigerian universities to spend a semester at MIT, either in the Spring 2024 (February-May 2024) or in the Fall 2024 (September-December 2024).
- During their semester at MIT, the selected faculty will observe at least two classes, similar to ones they currently teach (including lectures, recitations and tutorials). They will work on new curricular materials and teaching approaches for adoption in their own classes. They will attend two weekly MIT-ETT seminars, one which will focus on curriculum design and the other to introduce the faculty to MIT cultural aspects, such as: online teaching, problem solving, entrepreneurship, public speaking, networking, and more.
- MIT-ETT will cover basic travel, living and instructional materials expenses of the participants. The home universities of the successful applicants will commit to provide paid leave of absence during the period of the MIT program.
MIT-ETT welcomes applications from all qualified faculty who are:
- Interested in developing new curriculum and teaching methods and who consider themselves to be change-agents;
- A faculty member holding a PhD and teaching in a department corresponding to Computer Science, Electrical, Mechanical, Chemical or Petroleum Engineering or Geophysics, at a university in Nigeria.
- Lecturer One rank
Application Closing Date
Wednesday, 7th June, 2023, 8pm EST.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Applications will be thoroughly vetted following which an MIT committee will establish a list of top candidates.
- Candidates in Nigeria will be interviewed in Lagos by MIT faculty and representatives of NNPC Limited and Total Energies during the week of July 17-July 21, 2023.
- Selected candidates will be notified of the interview date and time at the beginning of July 2023.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the selection interview
- TotalEnergies reserves the right to modify, alter, reverse or change this schedule and/ or the Selection Test process notice.
- For questions and clarifications, please send email to: [email protected]