World Health Organization (WHO) is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system.
It is responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Management and Administration (MGA) Officer
Job Identification: 2305778
Contractual Arrangement: Fixed-term appointment
Contract Duration (Years, Months, Days): 2 years
Objectives of the Programme
- The mission of WHO’s Health Emergencies Programme (The Programme) is to help countries, and to coordinator international action, toprevent, prepare for, detect, rapidly respond to, and recover from outbreaks and emergencies.
Description of Duties
During deployment based upon the technical needs of the Programme. The incumbent will perform all or some of the following duties:
- Plan, recommend and implement systems, norms and procedures, in compliance with existing policies and SOPs, for the administration monitoring, control and evaluation of human, financial and material resources processes within the incident management system.
- Support planning processes, and formulate general and specific budgetary estimates for the emergency preparedness, response and recovery activities; ensure the management of funding allocations and awards; track and report on financing against budget;support, monitor and report on financial implementation in compliance with WHO rules, emergency SOPs and delegations of authority.
- Provide managerial and administrative support in the implementation of all WHO incident management operations through initiation of relevant proposals for all planned activities,in cooperation with the resource mobilization team, monitor and follow-up ondonor proposals and reporting deadlines; ensure payments are made to support emergency programme plans and in compliance with rules and procedures.
- Provide a range of human resources services, including forecasting future needs, coordinating/facilitating rapid deployment of surge staff and international responders,sourcing, recruitment, medical clearance, travel to the relevant duty station,entry formalities, briefing and training, on-site administrative support, de-briefingand performance evaluations.
- Track and report on HR requirements against plans, status of filled positions/vacancies, in collaboration with the relevant Regional Office and/or HQ.
- Manage procurementof services and all necessary supplies required for support of the incident management, track inventory, coordinate with logistics and HR to provide supplies and equipment to the local response team.
- Participate in local contract review committees and ensure best value for money in procurement practices as per the delegated authority.
- Ensure appropriate asset management; provide relevant reports to the management.
- In case the Field Security Officer position is not established in the duty station, coordinate with the United Nations Department of Safety and Security (UNDSS) and the Regional Field Security Officer to ensure the safety of all WHO staff and responders, Minimum Operating Security Standards (MOSS) compliance, timelyreport on security related incidents, disseminate security and travel advisory information and arrange security briefings and training of staff.
- As required, supervise Information Technology support services provided either by local Information technology technicians.
- Oversee the monitoring and assessment of end user support, management of the local office infrastructure.
- Oversee and consolidate the replies to audit reports and comments, review and follow- up onany outstanding audit recommendations related to the different areas of management and administration.
- Perform any other incident-specific related duties, as required by the functional supervisor.
- Essential: Advanced university Degree (Master’s level or above) in Public or Business Administration, Finance or Accounting, Human Resources Management or other Social Studies from an accredited/recognized institute.
- At least seven years of relevant experience, combined at the national and international levels in management and administration, including supervision of staff. Experience in supporting emergency or health outbreak operations.
- Experience in developing countries. Prior humanitarian working experience at field level, with WHO, other UN agency, health cluster partners, recognized humanitarian organizations or with an international non governmental organization.
- Thorough knowledge of administrative and management principles and practices (including, but not limited to the areas of Human Resources, Finance, Budget, Procurement and Security).
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to work under pressure.
- Demonstrated ability to act independently and exercise sound judgement.
- Advanced leadership skills and proven ability to coach and motivate staff.
- Skills in programme formulation, design and research development an asset.
- Proven ability to translate requirements into workable solutions
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
- Creating an empowering and motivating environment
- Ensuring the effective use of resources.
Use of Language Skills:
- Essential: Expert knowledge of English.
- WHO salaries for staff in the Professional category are calculated in US dollars. The remuneration for the above position comprises an annual base salary starting at USD77,326 (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance, as applicable), a variable post adjustment, which reflects the cost of living in a particular duty station, and currently amounts to USD 3873 per month for the duty station indicated above.
Other benefits include:
- 30 days of annual leave, allowances for dependent family members, home leave, and an education grant for dependent children.
Application Closing Date
26th July, 2023 (10:59:00 PM).
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online