The editor will work closely with Borderless’ executive director, art director, reporters and freelancers to publish stories on the website and copy them on social media channels.
Borderless Magazine, a multilingual nonprofit news outlet reporting on and with immigrant communities in Chicago, is looking for a part-time contract editor to work with us over the summer.
The editor will work closely with Borderless’ executive director, art director, reporters and freelancers to publish stories on our website and copy on our social media channels. In 2021, 99% of our stories were reported, photographed, or illustrated by people from immigrant communities. Many of our reporters are citizen journalists or newer to reporting and need extra support from editors to produce their stories. Borderless publishes one to two stories per week.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Working with reporters on stories from pitch to publication, including story ideation, structural and line edits, copy editing and fact checking
- Uploading final stories onto our website
- Writing and posting social media copy
- Editing our weekly newsletter
- Participating in two weekly team meetings to discuss editorial and engagement work
Our Ideal Candidate Will
- Be an excellent writer with a background in reporting or editing feature or investigation stories
- Have strong news judgment and decision-making skills
- Have a passion for working with and mentoring early career journalists
- Have at least two years editing experience
- Be familiar with SEO and its principles
- Be familiar with the AP Style Guide
- Be comfortable using WordPress and Buffer
If you don’t have all of the above qualifications, please still apply! Borderless Magazine is an equal-opportunity employer and we encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including immigrants, women, people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities. Please note in your cover letter if you can read, speak or edit in languages other than English as those skills are especially valuable to us.
To apply, please send a resume, cover letter and two samples of your editing or reporting work to Nissa Rhee at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Contract Editor.” We will be evaluating applications on a rolling basis.
Borderless Magazine Culture: We are a small team with three full-time employees and two part-time employees. We are a woman-run nonprofit that is anti-racist. We believe in work-life balance, respect and boundaries. The contract editor will not be expected to work weekends or evenings.