The Google Legal Summer Institute (LSI) is a unique experience where law school students who are underrepresented in the legal field are invited to spend time interning with one of our partner law firms and gain experience of what it is like to work in private practice.
During their internship, students will spend a week with Google (remotely and/or in-person depending on the location) attending presentations and career development workshops, building their network and gaining insights into life as an in-house lawyer at a global technology company.
There will also be an opportunity for LSI students to participate in a six month mentorship scheme and be mentored by a Google lawyer. LSI aims to improve access to in-house careers at tech companies by expanding opportunities and removing barriers for talent underrepresented in the legal industry.
LSI students are a diverse group of students with interests across all legal practice areas. We consider students who are attending (or have attended) law schools in EMEA. Students who identify with a group that is underrepresented in the legal profession industry are especially encouraged to apply.
The Google week of the EMEA Legal Summer Institute will take place from Monday 28th August to 1st September 2023. The dates for the week(s) at our partner law firms will vary across EMEA depending on the law firm.
LSI measures success through four objectives:
- Providing students with work experience with one of our partner law firms
- Providing early exposure to in-house careers at Google for students underrepresented in the legal field
- Sharing information across the corporate sector regarding best practices to develop a legal internship program that prioritizes underrepresented talent
- Improving diversity within law firms, especially Google’s outside counsel
LSI students will learn more about the different opportunities and possible career paths within Law. They will also participate in some interactive and practical workshops (e.g. interview and CV skills).
Law Firm Participation
LSI is a paid opportunity and all participating partner firms are deeply committed to contribute to making this experience for LSI students as similar as their other paid vacation schemes.
There are no specific requirements regarding students’ law firm work assignments, however we recommend that assignments provide a good balance of quality and quantity and contain substance and variety.
Office placement location will be at the discretion of the law firm and the student.
LSI offers access to an optional six-month mentorship program which connects LSI students with and a mentor who will be a more experienced Google lawyer or legal professional. The mentor is an unbiased resource, untied to the student’s work, who will aid in the student’s personal and professional development by sharing their advice and guidance on a confidential 1:1 basis with the mentee.
The LSI team facilitates candid conversations with top legal leaders throughout their week at Google. Past speakers include Yoram Elkaïm, EMEA Legal Lead, various members of the EMEA legal team (including Head of Regions, Privacy, Competition, Copyright) and the broader global and policy teams.
- Apply Now: Airtel Ng Is Hiring for Positions
- Call for Interns: Data Engineering Internship at Indicina
- NITDA – Coursera Tech Skills Training Scholarship 2023 Cohort 2
- Facebook/Ingressive4Good Social Media Marketing Scholarship 2023 for Young Africans
- Access Bank/ Udacity Tech Scholarship Program 2023
- Access Bank 2023 Entry Level Recruitment and Internship Program for Young Nigerian Graduates.
- MTN Scholarship Application 2023 Now Open (Deadline: June 18th, 2023)
- Bic is Looking for Sales Reps
- NOKIA Mobile Network MEA Training Program 2023 for Young Graduates
- Deloitte Nigeria Graduate Academy Digital Programme 2023