Deadline: 26th April 2021
Fully Funded Commonwealth Distance Learning Scholarships 2021
Application is now open for Commonwealth Distance Learning Scholarships 2021. The scholarships are offered for citizens of certain developing Commonwealth countries. These scholarships are funded by the Foreign Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO), with the aim of contributing to the UK’s international development aims and wider overseas interests, supporting excellence in UK higher education, and sustaining the principles of the Commonwealth.
Purpose of Commonwealth Distance Learning Scholarships 2021
To contribute to development needs of Commonwealth countries by providing training for skilled and qualified professionals in key development areas.
High-quality postgraduate students who wish to access training not available in their home countries, who wish or need to remain in their home country while they study, and who have the potential to enhance the development of their home countries with the knowledge and leadership skills they acquire.
Development themes and impact
Commonwealth Distance Learning Scholarships enable talented and motivated individuals to gain the knowledge and skills required for sustainable development, and are aimed at those unable to study in the UK for financial and other reasons.
These scholarships are offered under six themes:
- Science and technology for development
- Strengthening health systems and capacity
- Promoting global prosperity
- Strengthening global peace, security and governance
- Strengthening resilience and response to crises
- Access, inclusion and opportunity
To be eligible for a Commonwealth Distance Learning Scholarship, candidates should:
- Be a citizen of or have been granted refugee status by an eligible Commonwealth country, or be a British Protected Person
- Be permanently resident in an eligible Commonwealth country
- Hold a first degree of at least upper second class (2:1) standard. A lower qualification and sufficient relevant experience may be considered in certain cases.
- Be unable to afford to study the programme without this scholarship.
Each participating UK University will conduct its own recruitment process to select a specified number of candidates for Distance Learning Scholarships. Universities must put forward their selected candidates to the CSC by 4th June 2021.
The CSC will then confirm that these candidates meet the eligibility criteria for this scheme and universities will inform candidates of their results by July 2021.
Selection criteria includes:
- Academic merit of the candidate
- Potential impact of the work on the development of the candidate’s home country
How To Apply
You must apply to study an eligible master’s course at a UK university that is participating in the Distance Learning scheme.
Please see the full list of participating universities and eligible courses.
You can apply for more than one course and/or to more than one university, but you may only accept one offer of a Distance Learning Scholarship.
Your application must include the following supporting documentation by 17:00 (BST) on 10 May 2021 in order for your application to be eligible for consideration:
- At least one reference– submitted directly by the referee to the online application system (referees will be sent an email request)
- An offer letter to start their chosen course of study in the 2021-2022 academic year – uploaded to the online application system
- Full transcripts detailing all your higher education qualifications (with certified translations if not in English) – uploaded to the online application system
The CSC will not accept supporting documentation submitted outside the online application system.
Supporting documentation uploaded to the online application system must be uploaded as files that are no more than 5 MB in size and must be in one of the following formats: PDF, .doc, .docx, .odt, .jpg, .jpeg. Files submitted in any other format (including Zip files and PDF Portfolios) will NOT be accepted.
Applicants are responsible for seeking permission from their referees in advance of submitting their application; for ensuring that their referees are available to complete the reference by the deadline and have received the reference request email from the online application system.
For more information visit the official webpage of Commonwealth Distance Learning Scholarship