Background/IRC Summary: The International Rescue Committee, one of the world’s largest humanitarian agencies, provides relief, rehabilitation, and post-conflict reconstruction support to victims of natural disaster, oppression, and violent conflict in over 40 countries.
The IRC is committed to bold leadership, innovation, and creative partnerships. Active in public health, education, livelihoods, women’s empowerment, youth development, and protection and promotion of rights, IRC assists people from harm to home.
IRC entered Nigeria in October 2012 in response to a widespread flood disaster. Since then, the IRC has expanded its scope and size of the programs as new areas became accessible after prolonged conflict and insecurity, in Adamawa, Borno and Yobe States. The IRC is currently exploring interventions in the Northwest
- The Intern reports to the Finance Office Mubi. She / he supports the Finance Assistant / Office in aspects of day-to-day operations of the accounting department in the Mubi Field office.
- Assist the finance assistant when making payments to suppliers, contractors and program staff based on approved documents and in line with authority delineation.
- Assist the finance assistant in ensuring scrutiny of the entire bill for accuracy and receipt of goods before processing for payment.
- Assist the finance officer on documentation, preparation of cash disbursement voucher for all cash transactions related to Mubi field office.
- Ensure all transactions are in compliance with IRC accounting policy, Donor restriction and generally accepted accounting principles.
- Maintain confidentiality of all financial and other job-related information.
- Assist the finance Assistant on proper documentation, Stamping, Labelling, and filing of all financial documents.
- Assist the finance office on compiling support documents for audit purposes
- Help finance unit in moving documents in the office system for approval purposes
- With the guidance of the finance Assistant/officer Scan any Finance Document before sending it to the country office for month closing. Common duties:
- Attend and participate in trainings identified / organized by your supervisor
- Follow any new procedures and guidelines designated in circulars from Country Director
- Report any violations of the IRC Sexual Abuse and Exploitation Code of Conduct (in-country and World-wide) as per the IRC reporting mechanism. The reporting of violations is an obligation on the part of all staff members.
- Assist where necessary in undertaking activities that aim to prevent the occurrence of sexual abuse and exploitation of refugees by IRC and other humanitarian workers.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by your supervisor
Key Working Relationships:
- Position Reports to: Finance Officer
- Position directly supervises: None
- Indirect Reporting: Finance Coordinator
- HND or bachelor’s degree in accounting from a recognized College / Institutions.
- A minimum of one (1) year of accounting experience including NYSC service year. Computer literate with significant knowledge/experience in excel.
Skills and Competencies
- Able to work in a high-pressure situation,
- Ability to independently organize work, prioritize task and manage time.
- Strong inter-personal skills, and open to learn new skills
- Self-motivated, honest, highly responsible, and punctual
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, fluent in written and spoken English.
Standards of Professional Conduct:
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way – Code of Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons, and several others.
IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances. Working
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants based on merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.