Database Web Developer – experts will provide expertise in data management for Surveillance, design and develop modules, software applications integrated into SORMAS, manage SORMAS database, performance monitoring of existing software, manage technical documentation with regular reporting and design/develop application programming interfaces (APIs).
- Maintain and evolve the existing prototype web mining system to collect data from multiple sources.
- Design and develop new modules if required and maintenance of the existing.
- Improve the code to efficiently address quality and performance issues.
- Deploy, monitor, and fine-tune the operation of the system to optimize data-gathering results.
- Use and support the development of data transformation tools to address quality issues of the gathered data.
- Ensure technical documentation, with regular report drafting and user requirements elicitation.
- Identify and report any data management issues to the IT experts for immediate resolution.
- The design and development of robust software applications that would be integrated into the SORMAS application architecture and ecosystem.
- Design and implementation of applications that would be crucial in the carrying out of surveillance activities or other related activities as required.
- Conduct performance monitoring of existing software applications to guarantee optimal functionality and eliminate unplanned system downtime.
- Implement the integration of external software with one or multiple applications within the SORMAS software ecosystem, adhering to established methodologies and ensuring proper data abstraction.
- Design and develop Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) that satisfy the specifications for integrating with other surveillance systems or analytical software solutions.
- Support scripting and development of data collection tools like ODK for data collection and checklist development.
- Streamline COVID surveillance data reporting channels
- Improve overall surveillance data quality
- Strengthen capacity in data analysis and data driven decision producing periodic (weekly, monthly and quarterly) analysis feedback from surveillance data to enhance decision making at relevant levels.
- Facilitate real time data capturing of testing data across service delivery point and integration of COVID-19 rapid diagnostic data into SORMAS and boost data interoperability and use.
- Collaboratively develop strategies to creatively incorporate data, analytics, and data visualization into various content and product delivery, also serve as primary data manager for the team, managing multiple streams of data independently and generating routine and ad hoc reports and data visualizations (e.g. dashboards
- Diplomatic; demonstrate experience in undertaking high-level policy dialogue with different stakeholders – Well-developed written and oral communication skills.
- Proficiency in web development softwares and other software applications
- Undertake any other tasks assigned by the Director, Surveillance and Epidemiology Department, IT Experts, SORMAS National Coordinator and Jhpiego GHS project team
- Perform any other duties assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, related field with additional data management training – Essential.
- A Masters-level qualification in IT or computer Science – Preferred.
- A minimum of 3 – 5years’ experience in practical experience of leading or supporting development and maintenance of data collection software/programme.
- Previous experience of working on the SORMAS project at NCDC is an added advantage.
- Experience in database development – Essential.
- Technical knowledge in epidemiology, clinical or laboratory fields
- Working knowledge of statistical application programs (EPI INFO, SPSS, STATA etc.) and mapping programs (ArcGIS, QGIS etc) – Essential.
- Evidence of having worked effectively both independently and as a member of a multidisciplinary scientific team.
- Excellent inter-personal skills and a willingness to work with others to overcome problems as and when they arise.
- Ability to work calmly under pressure and co-ordinate between colleagues.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
- Previous related work experience in the UN or other International Development Agencies – Desirable.
- Experience in word processing, use of spreadsheets (including graphing), database use, e-mail
Knowledge, Skills And Abilities
- Ability to work in a complex environment with multiple tasks, short deadlines and intense pressure to perform.
- Basic knowledge of ICT, programming, mobile and web – based data technology
- Excellent presentation skills and verbal and written communications skills.
- Proficiency in word processing, Microsoft Office and data software.
- Ability to travel 25% of time.
- Nigerian nationals are strongly encouraged to apply.