Deadline: 29 April 2022
With the Canon Student Development Programme, you may advance your career and take the next step toward becoming a professional photographer (CSDP).
- Be aged 18 and over at the date April 29th, 2022;
- Must have started or completed an education programme during the academic year 2021-2022, or be engaged in internships by agencies or magazines within the same period; or be nominated/endorsed by professionals from the photographic industry
- The programme is open to eligible participants residing in Europe, Middle East and Africa.
- The official language of the programme is English and participants will need an adequate proficiency to take part.
- Your portfolio can contain up to 20 images from one story, plus a description of your project, image captions and a personal bio.
- The entry deadline is 29 April 2022. 100 participants will be accepted onto the Canon Student Development Programme and notified by 16 May 2022. ID is required for entry.
- 100 entrants will be chosen and mentored remotely by industry professionals in relation to their portfolio;
- 30 of those 100 entrants will be selected (as judged by an independent panel) to attend a 5-day workshop prior to attending the Visa pour l’image festival; and
- 5 of the 30 participants will be selected to attend the Hamburg Portfolio review, receive a €2,000 grant, and Canon product.
The program will be divided into three sections.
- Module 1: Virtual Portfolio Preparation Mentorships
100 admitted Participants will be partnered with a professional mentor between 6th June – 8th July to support and refine their portfolio. Each Participant will be granted up to three one hour sessions. All sessions will be conducted virtually.
- Module 2: Workshop
Following the concusion of module 1, 30 Participants will be selected in July to attend a 5 day workshop taking place between 25th – 29th August 2022 in the days preceeding the 2022 edition of the Visa pour l’image Festival (“Festival”) held in Perpignan (F). During the workshop Participants will attend dedicated lectures, take part in group portfolio reviews, practical sessions, get access to exhibitions at the Festival and benefit from networking opportunities with representatives from the Imaging and Media industry.
- Module 3: Hamburg Portfolio Review
5 Participants will be selected in August and receive a 3 day trip to Hamburg (G) and granted a place at the Hamburg Portfolio Review taking place between 16th – 18th September 2022. During the event Participants will take part in portfolio reviews, showcase their work in a dedicated exhibition, attend additional meetings with industry professionals, and be supported for a further 6 months with longer term mentorships and receive a €2k grant and up to €9k worth of Canon product. All Participants will be introduced to relevant local country Canon organisation
Fill out the form below and submit your portfolio to be considered. For the academic year 2021-2022, you must be at least 18 on April 29, 2022, and a university student or intern at an agency or publication.
There are ten spots available for industry nominees, regardless of where they are in their educational journey. To be eligible, these entries will need a letter of recommendation.
ALSO READ: UCT GSB Solution Space e-Track Programme 2022 for entrepreneurs and early-stage startups
Canon Student Development Programme: Key dates
Meet leading industry experts and photographers, have your portfolio professionally assessed and learn valuable skills for your future career.
29 APRIL 2022 Submit your portfolio
Send a maximum of 20 images from one story
6 JUNE – 8 JULY 2022
Learn from experts
100 students chosen by editors from top media agencies including AFP, Getty Images and Reuters will receive 1-2-1 mentorships.
25 – 29 AUGUST 2022
Top 30 students invited to a career-defining workshop in Costa Brava, Spain and Visa pour l’image in Perpignan, France.
16 – 18 SEPTEMBER 2022
Hamburg Portfolio Review
5 students offered an exclusive place at the Hamburg Portfolio Review.
For More Information: Visit the Official Webpage of the Canon Student Development Programme 2022