The Agence Française de Développement (AFD) has recently launched its sixth edition of the AFD Digital Challenge.
AFD Digital Challenge is an annual competition open to digital start-ups that devise and implement innovative solutions for Africa’s development.
Every year, a theme related to the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) is identified and proposed to candidates. Hundreds of start-ups submit their projects, which promote digital technologies in education, training, health, transport and sustainable cities, rural transformation, the environment and the climate.
The competition identifies and supports the top ten talents for digital innovation in Africa. These winners benefit from financial support of up to €20,000 to realize their project and leverage its social and environmental impact. They also benefit from personalized professional and strategic support for a year. The high profile of the AFD Digital Challenge gives greater visibility to the winners and helps them make a name for themselves in Africa and internationally.
Six Principal Sectors of the Cultural and Creative Industries
1. Cultural and natural heritage: museums, historical places, archaeological sites, cultural landscapes, natural heritage
2. Performing arts and festivities: performing arts, live music, dance, festivals, fairs and celebrations
3. Visual arts and crafts: fine arts, photography, crafts
4. Books and press: books, newspapers, magazines, libraries, book fairs
5. Design and creative services: architecture, fashion design, graphic design, interior design, advertising
6. Audiovisual and interactive media: film, TV and radio, streaming, podcasts, video games
Up to €45,000 grant per winner
> Your digital project involves one of the six main sectors of activity of the Cultural and Creative Industries (mentioned above)
Your project offers a digital solution to one of the following three challenges
- Transformation of the modes of production and consumption of cultural and creative goods and services
- Enhancing the value of African cultural heritage and legacies
- Promotion of inclusive access to cultural and creative content
> Your project is currently in the seed phase (prototyping or beginning of commercialization with an indicative annual turnover of 0 to 18 000€), or in the acceleration phase (economic model and user market established with an indicative annual turnover of €18,000 to €250,000 per year
> Your project has a legal structure based in one or more African countries
> You are a startup or an association
Application Deadline – February 24, 2023