The Africa Energy Fellowship for Young Energy Leaders is an education venture designed to invest into the next generation energy leaders who will deliver a sustainable access to energy and ultimately a zero carbon Africa.
AFYEL is a six months competency building programme to prepare 60 smart energy leaders annually who will deliver an electrified Africa by providing intense and practical education on four important energy generating sources and technology – Hydropower, Onshore Wind, Solar Power and Bioenergy across three focal areas – Engineering, Economics and Finance.
The ambition of the program is to train graduates, post graduates or PhD students of Physics, Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Energy Economics, Mechanical Engineering, Building / Construction Engineering, Physics and Solar Energy or related courses on core aspects of energy generation with specific focus on Renewable Energy Technology and opportunities for career advancement in the energy value chain.
The Fellowship for Young Energy Leaders is an Unapparelled Opportunity to:
- Participate in a 17 week intensive professional training program in renewable energy technologies such as – Hydropower, Onshore Wind Power, Solar Power and Bioenergy – small scale, utility scale and large scale.
Explore industries beyond your daily work and expand your expertise
- Gain opportunity and mentorship to design a capstone project to propose a solution to a local energy problem.
- Attend a virtual summit with other young energy leaders an opportunity to interact and network.
- Meet and network with top industry and business leaders who are serving as instructors.
- Receive access to opportunity to pitch business idea.
- Strengthen your work through new connections, skills and ideas.
- Opportunities for networking in the energy transition market.
- Become part of a skilled, competent workforce for the industries of programme focus.
- Be better equipped for quick employment after the fellowship.
- Be top choice for project partnership, collaborations or employment for Africa projects in partnership with programme partners.
- Join a global alumni network of the Africa Fellowship for Young Energy Leaders and work together to seek innovative solutions to common challenges.
- Open to applicants that are between the ages of 21 and 35 on or before the application deadline.
- Are graduates, postgraduates or PhD holders of Physics, Electrical & Electronics Engineering, Economics, Mathematics, Finance / Accounting, Physics and Solar Energy, Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Building and Construction Engineering or related fields.
- Are proficient in reading, writing, and speaking English.
- Are citizens of one of the following countries: Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cabo Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Republic of the Congo, Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), Cote d’Ivoire, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Ethiopia, Gabon, The Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, Zambia, or Zimbabwe.
The following criteria will be used to evaluate applications (not in order of importance):
- A proven record of leadership and accomplishment in the core industries of focus.
- A demonstrated commitment to public or community service, volunteerism, or mentorship as it relates to clean energy.
- The ability to work cooperatively in diverse groups and to respect the opinions of others.
- Strong social and communication skills.
- An energetic, positive attitude.
- A demonstrated knowledge of, interest in, and professional experience in the renewable energy, Economics, finance or engineering field.