Blavity News is looking for a skilled Weekend & Evening Editor who will be responsible for assigning, editing, publishing, and sharing articles to social media on weekends and three (3) evenings per week. This position partners closely with the Blavity News editorial team. The ideal candidate has three or more years of editing experience, is knowledgeable of and has a passion for Black culture, has a knack for headline-framing, the ability to write with empathy, and is comfortable working independently. The Weekend & Evening Editor is expected to review articles for clarity, structure, word choice, accuracy, and alignment with AP Style.
- Assign and edit news articles, covering weekend shifts
- Write news articles, covering three (3) evening shifts per week
- Review stories for context, accuracy, and grammar
- Provide feedback to the Weekend Writer on errors and areas of improvement
- Help source and flag news stories for coverage consideration
- Education: Preferred BA/BS in Journalism, or relevant work experience
- Experience: 3 or more years of experience with editing and/or fact-checking for a digital news publication
- Technologies: Fluent in content management systems, social media, and Google Suite
- Experience editing news stories on tight deadlines
- Ability to edit long and short-form articles
- High-energy, company-first, positive attitude; must be motivated to work hard in a fast-paced environment
- A healthy appreciation of Black culture
Details: This position is a 1099 Contract, which averages up to 10 hours per week for up to 6 months. Candidates will be expected to be available Saturday and Sunday from 10AM-2PM EST and on weeknights from 6-9PM EST, ensuring stories are edited, published, and shared to social media in real-time.