Applications for the We Need Diverse Books Mentorship Programme 2022 are now open.
The Mentorship programme aims to support writers and illustrators by pairing them with an experienced professional in the field.
The mentors work one-on-one with a mentee and their completed draft of a manuscript over the course of a year, offering advice to improve craft and to better understand the publishing industry. In 2023, WNDB will offer fifteen mentorships split among the following categories: Picture Book Text (PB), Middle Grade (MG), Young Adult (YA); and Illustration (IL).
- Free. There is no cost to apply or for the mentoring programme.
- The writing mentorships are available to diverse writers or any writers or illustrators who have completed a full draft of a manuscript for children or teens featuring a diverse main character or diverse central subject matter.
- The illustration mentorship is available to any diverse illustrator who has a portfolio and several sample illustrations completed.
- Applicants may only apply for one of the four mentorship categories, so it is up to the applicant to research the available mentors and decide which category will be most suitable for their work.
- Applicants who do not comply with submission rules will be disqualified.
- Previous recipients of a WNDB Mentorship may not apply.
- The first-round judges will select a pool of final applicants based on merit of the work submitted. Mentors will select their mentee based on merit, compatibility, and readiness/need for the mentorship as outlined in their essay. Applicants who do not comply with submission rules will be disqualified.
Submissions must not be received before 12:01 a.m. (US Eastern time zone) on September 1, 2022 and must be received by 11:59 p.m. (US Eastern time zone) on September 30, 2022.
Click here to apply
For more information, visit WNDB Mentorship.