Application Deadline: 31 July 2022
Applications are invited from qualified and motivated candidates for a PhD programme in the field of Economics. This programme, supported by the African Economic Research Consortium (AERC), combines the traditional PhD structure in the School of Economic and Finance (SEF) and a partnership with other universities in Africa. It offers a rigorous and competitive training leading to the award of a doctoral degree in economics at the University of Witwatersrand.
During the programme, candidates will have the opportunity to learn in conjunction with students from other degree-awarding universities in Africa, both at our campus and at a Joint Facility for Electives in Nairobi, Kenya. The programme extends over four years, involving training in core subjects, electives, a thesis proposal, fieldwork, thesis preparation and defence. Students will spend some time at the University of Cape Town and in Nairobi, Kenya for coursework and then at WITS for their thesis component.
A limited number of full scholarships will be offered competitively to applicants from the sub-Saharan Africa region. Applicants from within the SADC region are therefore encouraged to apply.
- A masters degree in Economics or an equivalent qualification from Wits University or another university.
You must send the required documents to Ms. Kamo Nhlapo. Please send any queries to her.
The following supporting documents should be emailed to Ms Kamo Nhlapo – Kamo.Nhlapo@wits.ac.za
- Copies of your degree certificates
- Copies of ALL academic transcripts
- SAQA evaluation (This is an evaluation carried out by the South African Qualification Authority (SAQA) on all International qualifications – application details available at www.saqa.org.za ). If you don’t have SAQA now, please ensure you start the application process immediately.
- Proof of English proficiency (if qualification completed at an Institution where the medium of instruction was not English)
- Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of motivation
- A brief (5-10 page) proposal outlining your research interest
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the AERC Ph.D. Fellowships 2022/2023