Applications are now open for the SSB Photo Contest 2022. Here’s how to apply:
Application Deadline: 24 October 2022, 5 pm UTC.
She Shapes Biodiversity is a photo contest that aims to celebrate women’s contributions to the environment and seeks to recognize and amplify the roles and contributions of women that can pave the way for the implementation of a gender-responsive post-2020 global biodiversity framework.
This contest runs prior to the United Nations Biodiversity Conference, also the Fifteenth Meeting of the Conference of Parties to the UN Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD COP 15), this 7-19 December in Montreal, Canada.
This timing is to put attention and generate discussion on the need for a gender-responsive global biodiversity framework, with emphasis on a stand-alone target on gender equality (Target 22) in the post-2020 global biodiversity framework. The proposed Target 22 is key to ensure women’s rights and gender equality in biodiversity governance is duly recognized, respected and pursued in living in harmony with nature.
No age limitParticipant can submit more than one entry, maximum 3 entriesParticipant can interpret the theme “she shapes biodiversity” in the way they like, though here are some examples to give an idea:
- Indigenous women’s and local women’s traditional knowledge and practices
- Women on the ground – women sustainably using natural resources from biodiversity, conserving, and/or restoring biodiversity
- Actions by women environmental defenders, women’s actions and activism for biodiversity
- Women engaging in biodiversity policy planning and implementation
- Transmission of natural, botanical, medicinal, agricultural, fisheries knowledge and practices from our grandmothers, mothers, and other women
- Inspiring photos about characters linked to the environment, about stories whose protagonists are related to the environment (legends, indigenous folk tales, etc.)
Photo should be in PNG or JPEG format, with a resolution of maximum 10 MB in size and minimum 200 dpi (printing resolution).
- The top 15 photos will be shown in Women4Biodiversity website and social media accounts. They will also be used and/or exhibited during COP 15 this December in Montreal, Canada, where 196 nations will gather and adapt the post-2020 global biodiversity framework. This framework will guide each nation in their biodiversity policy for the next 30 years.
- Photographers of the top 5 photos will receive 200 euros each.
Note: Women4Biodiversity may still use the photos of the other winners, finalists, and contestants for our other campaigns, whether in COP 15 or others.
- Story and relevance to the theme (History and relevance to the topic). The originality in which the relationship between women and the care of nature is presented will be valued. It is here that the photographer will have the opportunity to share local realities with the world in a personal way. The textual description of the photograph will thus be key to understanding the particularities of the situation portrayed.
- Photography technique (Objective reality). Aspects such as the framing, light, white/colour balance, focus or composition of the photograph will be considered as long as the subject in question requires it.
- Artistic approach (Subjective reality). Creativity in capturing the idea behind the photograph will be valued. It is here where the participant shows their particular way of seeing and feeling the world and their distinctive style. Aspects such as the use of colour, movement, the symbolic use of elements such as silhouettes or objects, intentional blurs, and light painting technique will be considered as long as they reinforce the emotional part of the photograph.
- Participants can submit their photos, stories, and consent form in this Google form (1 photo entry in 1 form).
- Deadline for submission is 24 October 2022, 5 pm UTC.
For More Information:
- TechGirls Program 2023 for Young Women (Fully-funded to the U.S.)
- Google EMEA 2023 Internship Application Now Opened
- Data Science Org Data Science Internship Opportunity for Young Africans 2022
- Apply: She Code for Africa Laptop Scholarship Fund Application – Q3
- FirstBank Technology Academy Recruitment for Young Nigerian graduates.
- Call for Applications: Outsource Global Free Software and Data Analytics Training
- Tamkeen Young Entrepreneur Program 2022
- Call for Applications: The Challenge Fund for Youth Employment 2022
- Apply for the Walmart Data Science Bootcamp – Fall 2022