Applications are invited for Miles Morland Foundation 2022 Writing Scholarships. Here’s how to apply:
Application Deadline: 18th September 2022.
It can be difficult for writers, before they become established, to write while simultaneously earning a living. To help meet this need the MMF annually awards a small number of Morland Writing Scholarships, with the aim being to allow each Scholar the time to produce the first draft of a completed book. The Scholarships are open to anyone writing in the English language who was born in Africa, or both of whose parents were born in Africa.
Qualifications for the Miles Morland Foundation 2022 Writing Scholarships:
- To qualify for the Scholarship a candidate must submit an excerpt from a piece of work of between 2,000 – 5,000 words, written in English that has been published and offered for sale, you must send clear evidence that the piece you upload as part of your application has been both published AND offered for sale.
- This will be evaluated by a panel of readers and judges set up by the MMF.
- The work submitted will be judged purely on literary merit.
- It is not the purpose of the Scholarships to support academic or scientific research, or works of special interest such as religious or political writings.
- Submissions or proposals of this nature do not qualify.
- The only condition imposed on the Scholars during the year of their Scholarship is that they must write.
- They will be asked to submit by email at least 10,000 new words every month until they have finished their book, or their Scholarship term has ended.
- If the first draft of the book is completed before the year is up, payments will continue while the Scholar edits and refines their work.
Please also tell us in 200 – 300 words something about yourself and your background. People who reach the shortlist will be asked for further information about themselves and how they propose to write their book.
Fiction or Non-Fiction:
The Foundation welcomes both fiction and non-fiction proposals. We are aware that non-fiction Scholars may need extra time for research, so the Foundation may exercise its discretion to offer non-fiction writers a longer Scholarship period of up to 18 months.
The Scholars may elect to start at any time between January and June in the year following the Scholarship Award. Their payments and the 10,000 word monthly submission requirement will start at the same time.
The Scholarships are meant for full length works of adult fiction or non-fiction. Poetry, plays, film scripts, children’s books, and short story collections do not qualify
Please note that this is not a residential Scholarship. It is up to the Scholars what their living arrangements are during their Scholarship year.
- Applications will be received between 1st July 2022 and 18th September 2022.
- Applications submitted outside that period will not be looked at.
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the Miles Morland Foundation 2022 Writing Scholarships
For more opportunities, visit here