Gumroad is 48 people, scattered all over the world. Most people are part-time, working on average 22 hours a week. We are especially excited about working with active (or dormant) Gumroad creators.
Who are we looking for?
Frankly, I’m a terrible manager, so the perfect person to work at Gumroad is someone who can take a look at what’s in the queue, product-manage themself, break large tasks up into atomic ones, and ask for help when they need it.
Great writers and communicators do really well at Gumroad. 3-4 years of experience is recommended, but not required. The most important part is a strong body of in-production work!
Every role is product-focused, self-motivated, and business-minded. If you hate meetings and love to ship, and/or if you plan to be a CEO yourself someday, this may be a good fit for you.
The hiring process is the same for each role:
- Challenge, asynchronous, 3-8 hours
- 15-min phone call **where I answer any questions you have and we talk specific compensation and the role and what you’re excited about so you can hit your trial period running
- Trial phase working 10-20 hours a week, paid (you’re invited to our internals here)
Once we feel confident there’s a fit (3-8 weeks), we formalize via an ongoing contract and you can increase (or decrease) your hours flexibly.
Full-stack (emphasis on front-end) engineers
- Tech stack: Ruby + JS (migrating to React)
- new product features (50%)
- bug fixes (30%)
- small product improvements (20%)
- See Roadmap for sample projects
- Rate: $100/hr to start, +$25/hr after 6 months (+ $25/hr if considered senior)
- Everything you work on will eventually be OSS–we hope to restart this work by Q1 2022!
- 3-4 years of experience is recommended, but not required. The most important part is a strong body of in-production work!