Deadline: September 1, 2022
Applications are open for the Jack Kent Cooke Young Artist Award 2022.
The Jack Kent Cooke Young Artist Award is a one-time, non-renewable, need-based grant of up to $10,000 given in conjunction with full participation in From the Top’s Learning and Media Lab Fellowship.
Each year, From the Top chooses approximately 20 pre-collegiate musicians ages 8-18 to receive the Award. The Award is given to driven and committed pre-collegiate musicians with financial need to help offset the often prohibitively expensive costs of studying classical music at a high level.
- Up to $10,000 to apply toward instrument purchases, summer camp tuition, college audition travel expenses, private lessons, or other music-related needs.
- Participation in From the Top’s Learning and Media Lab (includes appearance on NPR’s From the Top).
- You are eligible if you are classical instrumentalists, vocalists, and composers (ages 8–18) who are full-time elementary, middle, or high school students, and have not yet entered college.
- Applicants must have strong musical ability and a willingness to participate in the Learning and Media Lab Fellowship.
- Applicants must provide evidence of a family income unable to meet the costs of his/her musical pursuits (new instruments, music lessons, summer festival tuition, and travel, etc.). 90% of past recipients come from families with an annual household Adjusted Gross Income of under $60,000. While they do consider extenuating circumstances such as cost of living, medical expenses, dependents, etc., they do not encourage applicants with an annual household Adjusted Gross Income of over $100,000 to apply.
- COVID UPDATE: If your most recent tax return reflects something different from what your current employment situation projects, include a detailed statement within the “Special Financial Circumstances” section at the end of the online application.
- Applicants must demonstrate a strong commitment to learning and creativity, inside and outside of the classroom.
- Applicants must demonstrate drive, initiative, maturity, leadership, and a commitment to giving back to one’s community.
Materials that you’ll need:
- At least two unedited, un-enhanced video or audio samples of your music for upload into the application portal.
- Contact information for two teachers (an academic teacher and a music teacher) who are willing to write you recommendations. They will receive further instructions and forms after you’ve submitted your online application.
- A copy of your family’s most recent tax forms (including all schedules, attachments, and W2 forms), and a copy of your recent academic transcripts
- NOTE: They maintain a special secure-encrypted platform to receive these documents electronically, so please do not send these documents by mail or email. You will find more instructions in the online application.
An application for the Jack Kent Cooke Young Artist Award is also an application to From the Top’s Learning and Media Lab Fellowship program. The Jack Kent Cooke Young Artist Award cannot be granted without full participation in the Fellowship program.
To apply for both opportunities, complete only the application titled: “From the Top SCHOLARSHIP Application: Learning and Media Lab Fellowship AND Jack Kent Cooke Young Artist Award.”
Click here to apply
For more information, visit JKCYAA.