Youth between the ages of 18 and 35 are invited to apply for a special Work and Learn training programme in olericulture in Abeokuta, Ogun State. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to learn about soilless farming.
IFAD Agrihub Nigeria project Special Work and Learn Training Programme 2022: Nigeria initiative aims to help jobless Nigerian young and prospective agripreneurs develop their skills in the areas of employment and entrepreneurship, with the goal of expanding youth wage possibilities and improving rural lifestyles.
A special edition of the Work and Learn Program, in collaboration with the Soilless farm lab, offers a rigorous curriculum in olericulture, networking, and mentorship to help students obtain the experience they need.
In conjunction with the Soilless farm lab, the special edition of the Work and Learn Program provides a robust curriculum in olericulture, networking, and mentoring to assist kids gain the experience and skills they need to pursue a career in agriculture or establish a business.
Age: 18 – 35 years
The project targets young people belonging to this age group, especially marginalised and disadvantaged youth in rural communities.
Interest in the project commodities and related value chain activities.
Youth who are passionate about agriculture and value chain activities.
Innovativeness and creativity.
Presenting new and innovative agriculture ideas and concepts could be a plus for consideration.
At the time of application, those who are currently unemployed or underemployed. Those who do not now benefit from any development project or government plan, such as N-power, FADAMA, Anchor Borrowers Scheme, Presidential Youth Empowerment Program, and others.
Education level (at least secondary school certificate).
Beneficiaries must have completed at least a junior or secondary school diploma and be literate in English or the project’s local language. Agrihub seeks to operate an inclusive project that gives persons with low levels of education possibilities.
- Personal qualities and skills
The project’s success is largely determined by the quality of the beneficiaries. Personal attributes such as social skills, communication, and leadership are given special consideration.
- Place of residence
The location where the training will take place will be given priority.
- Affiliation to a registry association or organised group.
The project will target members of youth/women groups, such as farmers’ groups, cooperatives, etc., to reach the required number of beneficiaries. Membership of such a group can be an added advantage.
- Commitment – willingness to complete the incubation programme.
Young people will be required to sign a commitment form setting out the guidelines/expectations for participation in the training.
- Entrepreneurship o Volunteering and community support.
Entrepreneurship, volunteerism, and community support are all examples of community support.
- They must have access to a working mobile phone.
A working mobile phone is needed to facilitate communication with participants and to enable e-teaching methodology due to the current pandemic and the need to take safety precautions.
- Abeokuta Residence
You must currently reside in Abeokuta or have accommodation within abeokuta for 3 months.
- Health condition
Participants must be physically and mentally fit to participate in all aspects of the training. Applicants with certain disabilities are also encouraged to apply. However, this must be clearly communicated during the application period.
Special Criteria – Employment Track
- Working status: not now employed, employed, or engaged in any type of labor (either fulltime, part-time or contract)
- Those with at least one year of vegetable growing experience who are interested in hydroponics and screen production systems
- Interested in working in the vegetable and horticultural business and willing to commit to this program for three months
- Willingness to work as an intern in a suitable farm
Special Criteria – Entrepreneurship Track
- Have an ongoing farm or agribusiness venture
- Interested in acquiring more skill to grow their new or existing business
- Member of horticulture agricultural cooperative or youth group who need technical or managerial capacity to strengthening their business
- Business Plan development and pitch deck support
- Support for loan documentation and application
- Starter pack or kit will not be provided
- Amplify your personal and professional growth
How To Apply for IFAD Agrihub Nigeria project Special Work and Learn Training Programme 2022 for Young Nigerians
If you meet these requirements,