IBM Research Internship Program 2022 for young Africans
IBM Research Scientists are charting the future of Artificial Intelligence, creating breakthroughs in quantum computing, discovering how blockchain will reshape the enterprise, and much more. Join a team that is dedicated to applying science to some of today’s most complex challenges, whether it’s discovering a new way for doctors to help patients, teaming with environmentalists to clean up our waterways or enabling retailers to personalize customer service.
IBM South Africa IBM Research Internship Program
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
Be a South African Citizen.
• Member of designated groups as defined in the Employment Equity Act.
• Registered at a recognised university in one of the aforementioned fields of study.
• Demonstrable academic research proficiency based on the scientific method.
• Working knowledge of popular and current machine learning methods and implementation techniques.
• Experience in application programming notably for mobile and web-based applications, development of web APIs, and user experience design for a variety of platforms.
• The candidate should be comfortable applying their knowledge and expertise in different domains and partnering with domain experts.
The internship is open to any recognized MSc, MEng or PhD candidate working in the following areas at the time of application: Computational Biology; Computer Science; Data Science; Electrical, Electronic or Computer Engineering; Genomics; Industrial Engineering; Physics; Service Science; Statistics.
Related: Bayer Foundation Women Empowerment Award 2022 for Female Entrepreneurs
IBM Research Internship Kenya
Applicants should meet the following criteria:
- Currently enrolled in a Ph.D program from an accredited university in quantitative fields such as Computer Science, Machine Learning, Statistics, Physics, Information Systems
- Demonstrable interest and experience on researching and implementing robust AI / ML pipelines. Exposure to forecasting and climate science concepts is a plus.
- 4 years coding experience with the scientific and ML Python stack (sklearn, numpy, scipy, pandas, matplotlib, etc.). Exposure to deep-learning Python libraries such as tensorflow, pytorch is a plus.
IBM Research Africa is looking for a Ph.D-level intern to join their Future of Climate Research group which is exploring different mitigation and adaptation strategies to combat climate change. This unique position will provide an opportunity to work with developers and researchers based in Nairobi, Kenya while also engaging with hundreds of global researchers in the world’s largest industrial research lab.
The aim of this internship is to explore novel ways to characterize extreme weather indicators. While many indices have been proposed in literature, universal indicators for low-to-medium skill forecasted weather are difficult to define as they depend on spatiotemporal domains of interest and are industry-sector specific.
IBM Research Internship (PhD & Msc only) – South Africa
IBM Internship: Research Engineer – Kenya