Application Deadline:31 August 2021
In 2014 the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) initiated the programme “Postdoctoral Researchers International Mobility Experience” (PRIME) to support the international mobility of postdoctoral researchers by temporary positions at German universities in place of conventional scholarships. The programme has been funded by the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) and the European Union (EU/FP7/Marie Curie Actions/COFUND). Funding is provided for 18 months, in which 12 months have to be spent abroad and 6 months (re-integration phase) at a German university. The re-integration phase is mandatory. The German university administrates the salary during the whole funding period.
- DAAD Postdoctoral Researchers International Mobility Experience Programme Applicants with above-average qualifications from all faculties can apply. They must have completed their doctorate with very good results before the start of funding.
- An application is possible regardless of nationality and current residency. However, depending on nationality and place of residence, restrictions may apply when choosing the destination country for the stay abroad (see application requirements).
What can be funded?
- Funding is being provided for an 18-month employment contract at a German university to conduct a 12-month research stay abroad with a subsequent return phase to Germany.
- Within the 12 months abroad, it is also possible to combine stays in several research institutions in one or several countries. Please indicate all destination institutions in the application form.
- Duration of funding
- The support is provided for 18 months, of which the first 12 months are spent abroad and the remaining 6 months of the return phase in Germany. (funding cycle 12+6)
- Integration into the German social security system is a prerequisite for the research stay abroad. If this condition is not met before the start of the fellowship, funding will begin with a 1-month starting phase in Germany. (funding cycle 1+12+5) Support
temporary 18-month employment contract at a German university according to pay scale TV-L EG 13; It is at the discretion of the employing universities to determine the exact level within the salary group, based on the previous work experience of the fellows.
- Expatriate allowance:
The monthly allowance for the research stay abroad is based on an area classification of the destination and the gross income of the fellows. The DAAD will conclude a grant agreement with the respective German university covering the costs for the regular salary and the monthly expatriate allowed
Also Apply For: Waislitz Global Citizen Award 2021 for Ending Extreme Poverty.
A lump sum travel allowance in accordance with DAAD rates for postdoctoral scientists will be paid for the selected candidate and, if applicable, accompanying spouse or partner (within the meaning of the German law on civil partnerships) and children who will accompany the fellow for at least one month during the researchstay abroad. The travel allowance will not be part of the grant agreement with the
German university but will be paid to the fellows directly by DAAD.