In order for a creative and adaptable plant-based way of thinking to develop in the future, the COAL Prize 2023 is inviting artists from all over the world to sow the seeds of creation and action, to germinate fresh research and experiments.
This Award is a summons to action, transformation, healing, revival, and hybridization. An appeal for people to experience the diversity of plants, their balances, and dynamics—from the seed to the calyx, from the molecule to the ecosystem. An invitation to try—and, why not, to fail—because progress comes from failure.
Prizes COAL Prize 2023 for Artists Prizes
- The winner of the COAL Prize will be awarded 12,000 euros and benefits from a residence in the heart of the Domaine de Belval, property of the François Sommer Foundation, run by the scientific and educational teams of the Museum of Hunting and Nature and those of the Domaine de Belval. Located in the commune of Belval-Bois-des-Dames, in the French Ardennes, the Domaine de Belval is a veritable observatory of rural life and wildlife, which welcomes artists selected each year for their contribution to the renewal of the vision of the relationship between human and his natural environment. > See the residence charter
- The winner of the Jury’s Special Prize will be awarded 3,000 euros.
- The winner of the NOVA_XX mention is invited by the Centre Wallonie-Bruxelles/Paris to exhibit at the NOVA_XX 2023 international biennial, which will be held from December 2023 to February 2024 at the Centre Wallonie Bruxelles in Paris and outdoor. Founded in 2017 in Brussels by Stéphanie Pécourt, director of the Centre Wallonie-Bruxelles/Paris, NOVA_XX is an international biennial dedicated to artistic, scientific and technological entanglement in a feminine and non-binary mode and in the 4.0 era.
- The winner of the Ateliers Médicis mention receives a residency in Clichy-sous-Bois/Montfermeil, in connection with the regional forest of Bondy, near Paris. The Ateliers Médicis welcome artists of all disciplines to residencies and support the creation of works that are thought out in relation to the territories. They encourage or organise encounters between artists and local residents.
Eligibility for COAL Prize 2023 for Artists
- Open to artists from all over the world;
- The COAL Prize supports artistic projects in progress. Its award is not intended to cover all production costs of the project but should be considered as an aid to its development.
COAL Prize 2023 for Artists Judging Criteria
- Applicants will be judged on the following criteria: artistic value, relevance (understanding of the theme – PLANT!), originality (the ability to introduce new approaches, themes, and points of view), pedagogy (ability to get a message across and raise awareness), social and participative approaches (engagement, testimony, efficiency, societal dynamics), eco-design and feasibility.
COAL Prize 2023 for Artists Application
The application should include the following documents in a single PDF saved as SURNAME_Name_2023_Project title, and not exceeding 30 MB:
- The completed application form, download it HERE
- A detailed description of the proposed project, describing its artistic dimension, its relevance to the theme PLANT!, including a note on the technical feasibility of the project and a budget estimation
- At least two visuals illustrating the project
- A CV and a portfolio
All applications are to be submitted by March 19, 2023 at 11:59 pm at the latest via the COAL server.
Deadline: March 19, 2023
For more information, visit COAL Prize.