The Morgan Library & Museum seeks an energetic, creative individual with exceptional editorial skills to edit and project manage exhibition didactics, as well as museum publications depending on the candidate’s prior experience. The Associate Editor will collaborate closely with curators to review and revise content, and interface with graphic designers, exhibitions staff, imaging and rights staff, and other colleagues. This position reports to the Editor.
The Morgan Library & Museum is committed to diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, or a related field, or equivalent work experience
- At least three to five years of editorial experience, ideally in a museum setting
- Excellent skills in substantive editing, mechanical editing, and proofreading, with a keen eye for detail
- Thorough knowledge of reference resources and style/usage manuals, especially the Chicago Manual of Style (17th edition)
- Experience editing a range of texts, ideally including catalogue essays, exhibition didactics, and related materials
- Proven ability to work diplomatically and tactfully with a wide range of writers
- Excellent skills in oral and written communication, with proven effectiveness in managing collaborations with colleagues
- Strong project management and organizational skills to keep complex projects on track
- Ability to work independently, manage time effectively, pursue several projects simultaneously, develop editorial schedules, and meet agreed-upon deadlines
- Experience and comfort with Microsoft Word (especially editing tools), Adobe Reader (especially annotation tools), and Google suite
- Ability to quickly change course, when needed, for time-sensitive projects or as procedures change
- Knowledge of book production and distribution helpful
- Ability to work for extended periods at a computer workstation
Compensation: $48,000–$60,000, commensurate with experience; Excellent benefits plan.
To Apply: Interested applicants should email a cover letter with salary requirements and resume to Human Resources at [email protected].
The Morgan is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to complying with all federal, state, and local equal employment opportunity laws. The Morgan provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, marital status, military or veteran status, domestic violence victim status or any other basis prohibited by applicable federal, state, and/or local laws.
Note: The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees, and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.