Deadline: March 10, 2021
Are you passionate about the environment? Are you interested in creating tangible community actions towards tackling global issues locally? Here is an exciting opportunity.
U-recycle Initiative is searching for 6 emerging change agents who are enthusiastic about environmental sustainability and ocean protection, and who through this AY4E fellowship can build their capacity and implement grassroots solutions to address plastic pollution.
“The African Youth for Environment (AY4E) Fellowship” is a comprehensive environmental education and awareness project powered by U-recycle Initiative and funded by a National Geographic Society grant. AY4E focuses on influencing positive behavioural changes towards tackling issues of plastic pollution in Nigeria. The Fellowship empowers youth and high school students across Nigeria with knowledge, skills and tools to begin developing actionable solutions at the grassroots level to combat plastic pollution.
Through our ‘AY4E Fellowship’, we plan to coach 6 young people who will then enlighten and engage over 6,000 high-school students in 6 schools across the 6 geographical zones in Nigeria, through creative environmental education projects.
Highlights of the AY4E Fellowship
- LEARN from experts, successful environmental advocates and climate activists through masterclasses on the issue of plastic pollution and how to develop and implement projects
- IMPLEMENT five awareness projects (school eco-talk, environmental club, movie screening, changemakers’ bootcamp and upcycling project) at a high school in your state.
- Gain lifelong leadership skills, access mentorship with global changemakers and access unique opportunities that will set you apart. The knowledge gained from this program would be valuable to those interested in environmental sustainability.
- Win free swag items, goodie hampers, gadgets, movie tickets, and more by completing tasks monthly relating to sub-projects.
- Earn resume-worthy experience and global recognition.
- Develop your project management skills
- At the end of the fellowship in December, the best fellow wins an all-expense-paid 3-days staycation trip to Egypt.
This is an eight-month fully-funded (April – December) program that provides emerging environmentalists, green enthusiasts, environmental advocates, and climate change activists with a unique opportunity to implement creative grassroots solutions to address environmental pollution.
ELIGIBILITY & SELECTION CRITERIA
To be eligible for our cohort of 2021:
- You must be between the ages of 16-25 years old (should have completed secondary school/high school)
- Should be Nigerian and should be a resident in Nigeria for the next one year.
- Should have access to a Laptop and internet connection.
- Show deep commitment or passion to address environmental issues like plastic pollution
- Readiness to develop and become a young social impact leader that advances solutions towards addressing environmental issues in Africa
- Must be an excellent communicator and self-starter who is determined to succeed
- Must be willing and available to implement 5 environmental education projects (designed and fully-funded by us) at one high school in your state
- You are a creative, innovative and dynamic changemaker who has or is ready to inspire and educate others to take action for the environment
- You are passionate about environmental protection, plastic pollution, ocean conservation
- You should be willing to commit 3-7 hours for (training or project implementation) on selected weeks
- Good organisational skills with the ability to work independently and under time pressure
- You have some experience in engaging in environmental awareness, advocacy or community service or may have taken courses or training in themes relating to environmental pollution. Demonstrated ability to organize community service activities is an advantage.
For more information, visit the official webpage of AY4E