African Development Bank Fashionomics Africa Contest 2022 for African Designers ($ 6,000 cash Prize)
Application Deadline: 1 March 2022 at 23:59 GMT.
The African Development Bank Fashionomics Africa initiative’s second online competition is offering $6,000 total in cash prizes, mentoring, new branding packages and other support for winning African designers of sustainable and circular fashion. Fashionomics Africa is an African Development Bank initiative increasing Africa’s participation in the global textile and fashion industry value chains.
Related: Visa Everywhere Initiative Global Innovation Program 2022 for Innovative Startups Worldwide ($500,000 USD in Prizes)
Fashionomics Africa, in collaboration with the United Nations Environment Programme, Parsons School of Design, strategic consulting and communications agency BPCM, and the Ellen MacArthur Foundation, invite interested African fashion brands to apply to the sustainable fashion online competition. Entrants must be pursuing environmentally friendly measures, sustainability, and circular economy actions to qualify.
The competition celebrates African fashion brands that will change how we produce, buy, use and recycle fashion and that encourage a more sustainable shift in consumer practices.
- The competition targets textile, apparel, and accessories entrepreneurs from Africa, aged 18 years or older, who have launched fashion businesses (up to a maximum of 50 employees), and whose sustainable designs have been produced within the last five years. Qualifying applicants will submit pictures of their products, detail their sustainable business model, and explain how their startup is environmentally friendly and innovative.
- Examples of sustainability and circularity elements might include materials used, the design process, cleaner or greener production processes – including shipping methods or ways to reduce carbon footprint.
- The designer or design team submitting the “best sustainable design” will win $3,000 along with other prizes. Two other competition finalists will take home $1,500 each, plus other support.
- In addition to the cash prize, the winning fashion brand will receive a certificate and the opportunity to showcase its creation by taking part in online events and sharing insights on key sustainability challenges facing the industry.
- The winner will have access to a network of media insiders and industry experts and receive mentoring and networking opportunities from competition collaborators.
Related: Kashim Ibrahim Fellowship for Young Nigerians 2022
- A five-person judging panel representing the African Development Bank and competition collaborators will announce the three finalists by 22 March 2022.
- The finalists’ entries will be posted on the Fashionomics Africa digital marketplace and mobile application(link is external) for public vote between 22 March 2022 and 7 April 2022.
- Polls close on 7 April at 23:59 GMT.