Application into 2023 United Nations Regional Course in International Law for Africa – Ethiopia is now open.
Application Deadline: November 7, 2022
The United Nations Regional Course in International Law for Africa is organized by the Codification Division of the United Nations Office of Legal Affairs in cooperation with the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia, the African Union, and the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (ECA).
Subject to developments related to COVID-19, the Regional Course is scheduled to be held in person at the facilities of the ECA in Addis Ababa, from 20 February to 14 March 2023 and will be conducted in English. The course will accommodate up to 30 participants, including a limited number of spaces for self-funded participants.
The Regional Courses provide high-quality training by leading scholars and practitioners on a broad range of core subjects of international law, as well as specific subjects of particular interest in a given region. In addition, the interactive nature of the training allows the participants to share experiences and exchange ideas, which promotes greater understanding and cooperation on legal matters in the region.
The Regional Courses are intended to enable qualified professionals, in particular government officials and teachers of international law from developing countries and countries with emerging economies, to deepen their knowledge of international law and of the legal work of the United Nations and its associated bodies.
The Regional Courses are conducted in the form of interactive seminars and discussions to allow a maximum exchange of views. The participants are expected to contribute to the discussions on the various topics included in the curriculum of the Regional Courses.
At the beginning of the Regional Course. a comprehensive set of training materials is provided to each participant for him/her to keep.
Certificates are awarded only to those participants who have completed the Regional Course in its entirety.
- To qualify to be considered for the Regional Courses, candidates must have a legal background with professional experience in the field of international law. Candidates must also be fluent in the language in which the Course is offered (English in 2023). The selected candidates are required to certify that they are able to attend the course in its entirety. The Regional Course accommodates up to 30 participants.
- This Regional Course is open to candidates from Member States of the United Nations which are also members of the African Group.
- For those participants receiving a fellowship, the fellowship will cover travel, accommodation, meals, medical insurance, and training materials. Fellowship recipients will also receive a modest stipend to cover other living expenses in accordance with the policies and procedures governing the administration of United Nations fellowships.
- There will also be a limited number of spaces for self-funded participants. With the exception of training materials, self-funded participants bear all costs associated with their participation in the Regional Course (e.g. travel, medical insurance, accommodation and living expenses).
- Brochure (English| French)
- Application form (English only)
For More Information: