ABOUT THE ROLE
To assist in monitoring human rights developments; supporting campaigns and growth activities; and carrying out research in various areas of focus including but not limited to arbitrary arrests, unlawful detentions, unlawful killings, women’s rights, media freedom, civic space, freedom of expression, forced evictions, torture and cruel inhuman and degrading treatment, discrimination, and access to justice. This is an internship position for the duration of 6 months.
The suitable candidate must have the ability to exercise high standards of servicing to a range of stakeholders (internal to the National Office and the Amnesty movement, media, governments, NGOs and beneficiaries of Amnesty International’s work, amongst others). Must understand the work of the Programmes Manager – Amnesty International Nigeria to enable her/him to offer executive support to Amnesty International Nigeria staff.
Amnesty International is a global movement with the aim to end human rights abuses. Independent, international, and influential; we campaign for justice, fairness, freedom and truth wherever they’re denied. Amnesty International Nigeria is a national entity that is part of the global and we campaign for meaningful human rights change to build a culture of respect for human rights in Nigeria.
- Assist with research and investigations on the human rights situation in Nigeria.
- Monitor human rights developments including decisions by national, regional and international human rights bodies.
- Support in the development, organisation and implementation of campaigning, communication, human rights education, and growth activities by searching for and collating relevant information, developing short notes or briefings and documenting materials in a systematic manner for easy retrieval.
- Assist in planning of meetings, seminars, workshops, compiling lists and logistical support as necessary.
- Support with processing incoming inquiries, petitions, and letters, and other administrative tasks.
- Draft letters, reports, blog posts, articles and informative pieces for internal and external audiences.
SKILLS, ATTRIBUTES AND EXPERIENCE:
- A bachelor’s degree or higher national diploma (HND) in a relevant field or relevant professional qualifications. Degrees in social sciences or international relations, law would be an advantage;
- A master’s degree is a plus;
- Demonstrated interest in human rights, e.g. through previous work, membership of an organization, involvement in advocacy of human rights, etc;
- Good interpersonal skills, a helpful and personable attitude;
- Good oral and written communication skills in English; other relevant local languages or additional foreign languages desirable;
- Ability to work under pressure, manage conflicting demands, multitask and work to deadlines to achieve results
- Good working knowledge of standard Office software e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook;
- Good understanding and use of social media e.g. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and multimedia tools like Canva is a plus.
Please note that this role is based in Nigeria. Only those legally authorized to work in Nigeria are advised to apply for this job.
Freedom, Justice, Equality. Let’s get to work.
N.B.: We reserve the right to close a vacancy before the closing date in the event of an overwhelming response or a change in business priorities.
- Call for Applications: TERAWORK N5 million Business Grant 2023 for Entrepreneurs, SMEs and Startups
- The Sahara Group 2023 Graduate Management Trainee Program for young graduates.
- GTCO Orange Tribe Graduate Trainee Program 2023 for Young Graduates.
- Fun Marathon: Access Bank Marathon 2023 (7 Million Naira for Grab)
- Accelerex is Hiring Software Developers (Backend)
- Entry-level UI/UX Designer Needed at PWC Africa
- The African Development Bank (AfDB) 2023 Virtual Internship Program for young Africans (Monthly Stipend Available)
- The BOI-LBS Entrepreneurship Development Program 2023 for Young Nigerians.
- Call for Applications: Side Hustle Digital Skills Bootcamp 7.0 for African Youths
Never miss an opportunity again. Join our Telegram Group or WhatsApp Group